Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Public Speaking

Today I was given plenty of practice in the public speaking realm.  I had the opportunity to be a presenter for the Nixa Junior High Awareness Day (aka Career Day).  What a day!  


For some of you, speaking to groups of 8th graders may not be public speaking, but to me, whenever you're standing in front of a group of people speaking it counts - am I right?  So, I made it through the day pretty well.  Thank goodness for Powerpoint presentations!  As my former boss, Cindi Boston, taught me - it's much better giving them something else to look at besides me! :)  Plus, you can't tell a story without pictures so I was sure to include plenty of pictures to describe what DCO does.  And fortunately, the kiddos took it easy on me.  Back to a 'regular' work day tomorrow.


Below:  Need some tips on public speaking?  Check out these great resources!


4 comments:

  1. I thought about you several times yesterday. I am glad it went well! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like u done very well. It was alway's hard for me to speak in front of people. I think I am getting better though. Being prepared for the questions to give the correct answers is always a big part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right -- public speaking does not imply only to presenting/speaking to big crowds but also with small crowds.

    Seems you've really enjoy your presentation :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Public speaking is tough at any level. I'm going back to Toastmasters this month to work on my basics. During my last speech, my projector broke, and it was awful. I recovered but it wasn't easy. I now use a projector rental store, so I don't have to worry.

    ReplyDelete