Wednesday, March 31, 2010

37

That's how long it took me to run my 5k training tonight.  37 minutes.  Not as good as I'd like, but considering I haven't run 3.1 miles - that's how long 5k is - in months, I guess I should be satisfied.  Saturday, April 17 I'm joining my mom and hopefully lots of other folks for the first annual 5k to support the Lending a Hand Cancer Fund back in my hometown of Van Buren, MO.  I'm very excited to go back and give my support to this worthy organization that was formed to financially help people in Carter County who have cancer.  It's pretty new - since August of last year - so I'm also excited to go back and hear exactly how they're operating and what they're doing to help the families in Carter County.  Plus,  hopefully I'll get to visit with some Van Buren friends that I haven't seen in ages.  Tiffany, one of the founders of the fund and a cancer survivor, and I actually have known each other since kindergarten and graduated High School together so it'll be great to see her again.   And, of course, Van Buren being a small town, I worked for one of the other founders and the third founder - her twin sisters and I have also been friends since kindergarten so she was like an older sister to me (and she, too, is a cancer survivor)!

My mom, Katie (my sis), and I went shoe shopping this weekend for the ideal running shoe.  We each got a pair so we can take the best care of our bodies while running.  It's amazing the difference a good pair of shoes can make!  I ran in mine for the first time tonight and they felt great!


Hats off to the Asics Gel-Kayano 16!!  Check it and other great Asics shoes here.  

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo! Thanks for the shout out, D! I am so excited that you all are coming for the run! You're doing great with the training...keep it up and those times will come down quickly;-)

    I am an Asics girl too. LOVE em. I probably have 7 or 8 worn out pairs in my closet right now along with the ones I'm wearing currently. And there is nothing better than running in new shoes...it's like little cloud pillows for your feet. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing shameful about a 37 minute 5K. Work it, girl!

    ReplyDelete